His Hand In Mine, How Great Thou Art and He Touched Me CD 2008
By: Elvis Australia
Source: Sony BMG
March 2, 2008 - 8:51:00 AM
Elvis CD News
How Great Thou Art
Elvis' second Gospel album How Great Thou Art was released in 1967 and won a Grammy. How Great Thou Art is a dramatic, ambitious, and almost revolutionary reinterpretation of Gospel. Bonus tracks include the Grammy nominated 'You'll Never Walk Alone' plus two others, 'We Call On Him' and 'Who Am I'.
1. How Great Thou Art (2007 Remaster) 3:03
2. In The Garden (2007 Remaster) 3:12
3. Somebody Bigger Than You And I (2007 Remaster) 2:27
4. Farther Along (2007 Remaster) 4:05
5. Stand By Me (2007 Remaster) 2:30
6. Without Him (2007 Remaster) 2:30
7. So High (2007 Remaster) 1:58
8. Where Could I Go But To The Lord (2007 Remaster) 3:39
9. By And By (2007 Remaster) 1:52
10. If The Lord Wasn't Walking By My Side (2007 Remaster) 1:38
11. Run On (2007 Remaster) 2:24
12. Where No One Stands Alone (2007 Remaster) 2:43
13. Crying In The Chapel (2007 Remaster) 2:25
14. You'll Never Walk Alone (2007 Remaster) 2:44
15. We Call On Him (2007 Remaster) 2:33
16. Who Am I? (2007 Remaster)
He Touched Me
The 1972 release of Elvis' third and last original gospel album earned him a Grammy. Even though this was his last complete gospel album that was released, Elvis kept recording religious material at his regular recording sessions, four of which are included here as bonus tracks: 'Only Believe', 'Put Your Hand In The Hand', 'I Got A Feeling In My Body', 'Help Me'.
1. He Touched Me (2007 Remaster) 2:41
2. I've Got Confidence (2007 Remaster) 2:21
3. Amazing Grace (2007 Remaster) 3:38
4. Seeing Is Believing (2007 Remaster) 2:54
5. He Is My Everything (2007 Remaster) 2:41
6. Bosom Of Abraham (2007 Remaster) 1:37
7. An Evening Prayer (2007 Remaster) 1:56
8. Lead Me, Guide Me (2007 Remaster) 2:41
9. There Is No God But God (2007 Remaster) 2:20
10. A Thing Called Love (2007 Remaster) 2:27
11. I, John (2007 Remaster) 2:18
12. Reach Out To Jesus (2007 Remaster) 3:16
13. Only Believe (2007 Remaster) 2:50
14. Put Your Hand In The Hand (2007 Remaster) 3:18
15. I Got A Feelin' In My Body (2007 Remaster) 3:35
16. Help Me (2007 Remaster)
Personnel: Elvis Presley (vocals); James Burton, Chip Young, Charlie Hodge, Joe Esposito (guitar); David Briggs, Charlie McCoy, Joe Moscheo (piano, organ); Norbert Putnam (bass); Jerry Carrigan, Kenneth Buttrey (drums); The Imperials, The Nashville Edition (background vocals). Recorded at RCA Studios, Nashville, Tennessee on May 17-19 & June 8-9, 1971. All tracks have been digitally remastered.
His Hand In Mine
Elvis' million selling first gospel LP from 1960, His Hand In Mine represents one of the many proud moments of Elvis' career. His voice is stunningly beautiful in this tribute to his gospel heroes: The Blackwood Brothers, The Statesmen Quartet, and The Golden Gate Quartet. Includes bonus tracks from Elvis' platinum selling gospel debut EP Peace In The Valley from 1957.
1. His Hand In Mine
2. I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs
3. In My Father's House
4. Milky White Way
5. Known Only To Him
6. I Believe In The Man In The Sky
7. Joshua Fit The Battle
8. He Knows Just What I Need
9. Swing Down Sweet Chariot
10. Mansion Over The Hilltop
11. If We Never Meet Again
12. Working On The Building
13. Peace In The Valley
14. It's No Secret
15. I Believe
16. Take My Hand, Precious Lord
His Hand In Mine Album Notes
Personnel: The Jordanaires (background vocals).
During his lifetime, Elvis Presley recorded three gospel albums and a four-song gospel EP. Presley's first full-length gospel album, HIS HAND IN MINE, sticks close to the quartet-style gospel singing Elvis loved as a youngster in Memphis. In fact, most of the arrangements on His Hand In Mine mimic arrangements used by two of Elvis' favorite groups, the Statesmen and the Memphis-based Blackwood Brothers.
The influence of such black gospel quartets as the Swan Silvertones and the Golden Gate Quartet, whom Elvis would have known through radio broadcasts, can also be heard on many numbers. As on all recordings inspired by the musical enthusiasm of his youth, Elvis shines on His Hand In Mine, singing with breathtaking passion and dexterity. The first twelve songs on this disc, all classics of the genre, constitute the album as it was originally released in 1960. RCA subsequently added three tracks to the CD: 'It is No Secret, originally released on Elvis' 1957 Peace In The Valley EP; a 1967 recording of Rodgers and Hammerstein's 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and 'Who Am I', recorded in 1969.
Tupelo's Own Elvis Presley DVD + 16 page booklet.
Never before have we seen an Elvis Presley concert from the 1950's with sound. Until Now! The DVD Contains recently discovered unreleased film of Elvis performing 6 songs, including Heartbreak Hotel and Don't Be Cruel, live in Tupelo Mississippi 1956. Included we see a live performance of the elusive Long Tall Sally seen here for the first time ever.
This is an excellent release no fan should be without it.
The 'parade' footage is good to see as it puts you in the right context with color and b&w footage. The interviews of Elvis' Parents are well worth hearing too. The afternoon show footage is wonderful and electrifying : Here is Elvis in his prime rocking and rolling in front of 11.000 people. Highly recommended.